Sunday, May 7, 2006

Astronomy

So, yesterday was a great day. We hooked up with the aunt and unc, (Bob and Lorraine) then grabbed the neice and neph (Amanda and Connor) and had a small road trip to NEAF (NorthEast Astronomy Forum). Each year by the good graces of the rockland astonomy clubs, a small convention of sorts is held at Rockland Community College. Each year the event seems to grow and more vendors participate.Astronomy is part of my geek side. I picked it up a few years ago and have a few scopes to my name. I also have my pride and joy to date a TEC 140APO. I can not wait to get it finally set and start observing with it, at our new much larger and darker house.So, we trucked on up. It was Bob, Lorraine and Amanda's first time to the fair and I was hoping there'd be some good sun to get great solar viewing in. We weren't disappointed, though cloud cover was sporadic and hampered viewing at points. It was no less a fun time for all.I must take a minute to give props to a friend (though not close) of mine. A few years back I was looking to get an on-axis solar filter for viewing sun spots. I didn't have the $1000 to $6000 (depending on type of viewing desired) for an H-alpha range filter. So I opted for a simple glass solar filter to put on my Intes Mn-61(6" Mak-Newt design). It was a bargain to me at $200, obtained through Thousand Oaks Optical. I tooled around the net, astromart, and any other related sites I could find and then stumbled upon Greg Piepol's sungazer.net. He's a classic example of someone so into his hobby that he exudes it. He's in an almost constant state of enthusiasm for others to share in what he's learned and experienced, and about the hobby in general. He goes out of his way to make all sorts, types and sizes of friends, help's anyone from beginner to expert, forms learning sessions, creates or facilitates astronomy clubs, solar clubs, constantly contributes to the field of solar astronomy, lends his images to the likes of NASA, Astronomy, Sky and Telescope etc...it's a wonder and awe-inspiring to meet him.So anyway, years back I sent Greg an email and asked his opinion on my purchase. It started out as a typical newbie question, it went something like...what kind of car should I drive..to his ultimate credit he literally spent about four hours producing and answering my email back and forth. He helped provide me an greater and more indepth understanding of what I would most likely want rather than his opinion being placed ON me, until I made a decision for myself. Further, he helped me understand setups, recommending items to purchase over the long term which would suit my skill level and grow with me. Everything from eyepieces, barlows, prisms, bino's, to mounts ERF's... etc.. I thanked him profusely while going through it, but seeing him again at NEAF this year (he no-less drives up from Rockville, Maryland each year), with all that he contributes, his offerings, his approachable nature, rekindled my respect and admiration for the man. I could go on and on. If you're ever interested in looking at some awesome solar imagery, of all types (especially his Coronado and A/P 155EDT setups,) stop by his site, then drop him a line. What a wonderful guy. He's one of those people that's become a life moment for me.So, we spent a few hours walking around. I met some other new and really nice people. Amanda got to participate in hand figuring a new mirror, a great deal of exciting solar viewing, looking at all the scopes that were setup and then meeting another one of the most interesting people of the event. Software Bisque is coming out with a new program later this year (they alpha'd the program back in '05). Its called Grand Tour. They had, IMHO, an under-sized informational booth, but what an awesome looking product. We met the designer of the program. He told us his story of life. A video game programmer by heart and training, he used to work for one of the larger video gaming company's. He decided that he wanted to teach and make something of his talents other than sitting in front of a screen all day, though he still loves gaming. He left the gaming line of work (he looks to be late 30's early 40's) and I apologize that I can't remember his name. He spent a half an hour with myself and Amanda telling us all about his efforts at the design of this new program. What a program it is. It allows you to fly through our solar system in any one of 10 different 'modes' or scenario's. You chose the date, the speed of travel, the direction, view, etc. You then get to fly throuh a theoretically accurate solar system from many vantage points. His enthusiasm for his craft and what the program can do was infectious. Its on my must buy list for 2006. If its as good as the free screensaver disk he gave out, it'll be an amazing first step in bringing an interactive solar system to the desktop.I also stopped by and met with the guys (and girls) of William Optics. I'm a bit biased to this firm since they sold me one of their, and my, first scopes, a Megrez 80. Its a pretty decent scope for what I paid for it. A few years back I took it to Montana with me and did some spectacular daytme viewing of terestrial objects in Glacier National Park and then some Mars viewing at night. Got a great look at ISS from those pitch black and clear skies. Next chance I get I'm going to upgrade a bit to one of thier APO's. They also have this great new head and tripod assembly they're selling. Its silky smooth in operation with a design take off like the alt-az head offered by Markus Ludes.Didn't get a chance to meander over to Adirondack at all. I was not interested in slobbering over the SBIG equipment they carry. The guys from ScopeGuard were, as always, famously friendly. We got into a nice discussion about using my wood TEC140 case as a table display rather than risk banging it up. It truly is one work of art.We finally settled into listening to the outdoor astronomy lecture. For a hundred bucks you can build a great little newt with smooth alt-az mounts of varying types of construction. Couple that with a cardboard box top with a piece of white paper applied to it and hung opposite to and beside the eyepiece, and you get a great solar observing scope. Then some radio receivers that pick up background radio transmissions from the sun, buildings and people. It was all together a wonderfull experience. The kids bought some geeky stuff like periodic table tee-shirts, and a laser pointer pen and grabbed plenty of free stuff. They were all happy.If you ever get a chance, its a wonderful show.

No comments: