Saturday, January 5, 2008

Retrospective

So, its been a while since I last blogged. Couple things going on I guess. First, being sick has not been a walk in the park. While seemingly only a REALLY bad chest cold -the worst I've EVER had - its still zapped me of any energy what-so-ever. In between the nose leaking all over the place, the gravelly voice, laryngitis, and a huge amount of yuck stuck in my chest needing to be hacked out, all things together it didn't make for any sort of fun.

I'm upset that I had to miss sis's b'day party and celebration last evening and then the friends celeb this evening. Obviously we don't wish to get anyone sick and bring them down either, but still, wish we could have been there and attending the funness.

Over the past couple of days have watched as Britany Spears spiraled further downward toward her path to suicide or permanent committal. Poor family, poor kids is all I can say. I still can't believe how hard it is to take kids away from a woman so desperately out of control. This also leads me to the gist of today's blog...how fleeting life can be at times. While, due to my particular circumstances and life's little potholes along the way, I've taken to making sure each day contains something good, life affirming and just. Whether its taking the time out to help Mom with the computer, spending some time on the phone with a friend talking with them and being a good shoulder, telling vast tales of life's exploits to co-workers or passersby, recognizing a persons efforts on my behalf, or communicating a realization I had to everyone around me.

This week two events took place that brought me to self-realization. I in turn needed to communicate these realizations to Emily and Wifey. The first;

Topsy-Turvy

This is hands down one of the great movies of our time. (Take this advice from where its coming - I'm a HUGE Gilbert and Sullivan fan). The story is based on the exploits and relationship of Gilbert & Sullivan (G&S) (i.e. Pirates of Penzance, HMS Pinafore, Mikado, etc etc etc.). Arguably one of the greatest production teams for stage and theater ever. As the story unfolds,  G&S have been working together for quite some time, under contract for Doyle-Carte (a production team of man and significant other). Two years remain on their contract. Gilbert, of course, is the playwright. Sullivan composes and conducts his scores for Gilbert's efforts (for the most part, though Sullivan is equal in talent as playwright as well.) Gilbert, admittedly for quite some time, has found a niche or format which seems to work well with audiences. The basic description is 'topsy-turvy' (or turnabout.) In Gilbert's case he seems to like magic best. Its a convention that allows the greatest written latitude because a viewer can accept a 'magical' enterprise much more readily than having to suspend reality and or rationalize the abnormal or contrived thought. Previous plays have used magical carpets, magical vessel, magical letter, magical potion, etc. (Albeit, all to great success.)

In Sullivan's eyes, these past twenty-odd years of team work with Gilbert have been great, no doubt, but the contrivance of magical topsy-turvy is grating on his nerves. He's a grand composer at heart in the time (late 1800's) of great European composers. He feels like life is passing him by and that his true inner talents are being limited and bound. He's not been able to spend the time he wishes on grand compositions, symphony's or anything greater than Libretto's. He feels smothered by the process and his contract. Quite frankly, he desires out of his Doyle engagement and away from Gilbert who keeps going back to the till for long past original ideas.

Strife between the two abounds and comes to a head in a meeting with Doyle-Carte with the two pronouncing they are at lager-heads.

The following scenes are the most intriguing to me because I can identify with them almost completely (and part of the reason for this blog entry).

Gilbert is shown in his house speaking with his wife. She's just returned from a trip through London proper and is trying to relate her experiences with him. He on the other hand is withdrawn and continued to be upset with the events of late and his future without Sullivan. His wife explains to him that it'd be good for him to get some fresh air and get out of the house to clear his mind. He protests, loudly. She persists, in a measured and reasoning tone. He protests more loudly. She's trying to explain that a Japanese exposition is in town and she'd like to take it in with him. He's adamant about not going. Cut to the next scene - The two are walking through the exposition together.

Now, while this is just a great movie and well worth anyone's attention and time to sit back and watch history being made, it also relates something I experience daily. Gilbert is a brainy, progressive, intellectual fellow, very successful at what he does, self-confident and structured. His wife on the other hand, is also very strong willed but in a more refined way. She's also very intelligent successful in her own right. She has the ability to see the bigger picture when it comes to her relationship, more-so than her husband. She persists in her statements, suggestions and admonitions and, eventually, wins out after the battle. In my life I have wifey. I don't know what I'd do without her and I recognize each day what a lesser of a man and person I'd be without her help, love and support. I try and explain this to her as often as I can because, well, its just true.

So, watch the movie. You don't need to see into the movie the importance or conviction I see in it, but at least watch it for the sake of being entertained. You'll see greatness abound and the intrigue suggested through the development of The Mikado. As a note, watch for the all important agreement to be signed for the development of the Savoy Hotel (with one bathroom per room no less). Visionary.

 

Blues Brothers

  

  Elliot and Jake

On Friday evening I caught the end of this movie. Specifically, the last 20 minutes of it during the greatest car chase ever filmed. Each time I revisit this movie I'm awestruck by its complexity and juvenile-ness. The movie is just down right entertaining. Its a worthy watch any time.

Of most importance to me is what this movie makes me remember. I can clearly see myself sitting in a small theater beside the shores (marina actually) of Lake Placid, NY. I can remember the smells of the theater, the seats, the sticky floor, tastes of the popcorn and sugar candy (jujubees - I believe). I was awestruck and excited by the movie. I was of course with my best bud at the time. I remember the time of day we first saw the flick. I remember leaving the theater and immediately wanting to go back in and watch it again. (Eventually we did watch it over again). I also remember the summer air and sunshine. The focus of a 16 year old boy. Fanciful plans for the future. Wild adventurous enthusiasm and long talks of speculation on events of the day (mostly girls in swimsuits and tight pants.) Walking town and eating Strudel and ice cream from a small mall. Catching famous traveling performers in the local club, trying to score a first Tom Collins.

In the end it reminds me most of what I continue to value to this day. Great memories that should never be forgotten, and even greater friendships that continue to be developed all these years later, and appreciation of the people I have in my life. I wish this on every one of my nieces and nephews. Never ever give up on a friendship.         

No comments: