Saturday, September 8, 2007

Two Great Things

The Blair Years

I just finished reading a book I leisurely began reading on my recent vacation to Florida. Its the cleared and somewhat sanitized daily diary of Alastair Campbell (press secretary/political advisor to Tony Blair.)

I must say its an amazing and eye opening read. I highly suggest it. I'd put it as my top choice for any public official or person interested in the political spectrum. It provides insight into the life and times of the British political parties, their eventual restructuring due to pure and unadulterated internal chaos and political in-fighting, modernization of a party, and finally the rise of its leader to Prime Minister.

What most strikes me about this book is its honesty and account of a news reporter transformed into media chieftain, political advisor, and master strategist.

Finally, I must say it was eye opening to see just how out of control the media is. The salacious now leads, the important and life changing gets buried or shunned. Further, its absolutely sad how much of the trivial day to day events, which one would think are not even on the radar of a Prime Minister or President, actually need great time and energy (away from the true REAL issues) expended on them so it doesn't become a political rowe. To borrow a phrase, I was gobsmacked.

 

Mad Men

I've also was able to catch a couple of episodes of a new AMC series called Mad Men.

Set in the early 60's its an episodic series about the advertising industry during its heyday. Liquored lunches, huge expense accounts, brilliant minds, debauchery, relationships, personalities, etc etc etc.

 Great cast of characters. Reminds me of the series From The Earth To The Moon. Shot straight, built expertly, active and very attractive dialogue. Its a man's chick flick (if that makes any sense. Highly recommended.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.