Saturday, June 10, 2006

Yesterday

Saturday, June 10, 2006yesterday Current mood: cheerful so, i went to my niece's moving up day yesterday. it was a cute ceremony and a couple of funny things happened: one girl fell off the stage while trying to come back down the stairs; another (who I found out reads my blog) lost her shoe on the way up onto the stage and didn't miss a beat. She was going to walk through without letting it affect her. Unfortunely, her teachers felt otherwise and proceeded to follow her across the stage to give her the shoe back. At the end of the stage, she stopped, takes the shoe, sticks it on her foot, waves to the audience and proceeds down the steps (to applause). When on the floor, she again gives a curt wave to the audience, who again responds with applause; When Amanda's turn came, I, as usual, felt the need to scream at the top of my lungs "AAAA_MMMM_AAAA_NNNN_DDDD_AAAA" (yes, everyone turned to me and gave a frown-full look - but I'm used to that). I also found I was able to make the rubber soled shoe squeeking sound against the tiled floor. That entertained me for the better part of a 1/2 hour. (I'm just this very proud unc who tries to take an active role in her and the others lives).I also was speaking with my nephew when he heard that I have a blog. He asked what it was about and I explained it to him. The look on his face was very strange. He couldn't make the connection that I had a life before he was born and what that life had encompassed. He was also very struck by the fact that 2 of his uncles could end up at the same place (plane crash) and him not know about it. Then he was further struck by the fact that I referred to it as a very sad event in my life. I believe he knows me best for being that fun-loving, no holds barred type of guy who always wants to do new and exciting things and be somewhat....irreverent, I guess would be the best word. I think the seriousness of what I said really sank in. Strange how life runs in circles sometimes. Old events become new again.I was then struck by a rememberence of events gone by. The most prominent thought was of my 40th b'day party, where the kids all attended and I ended up sobbing, uncontrollably, because of 1 gift. Its a great and treasured memory, that night.Mary (wifey) set up this shindi for me, but kept me in the dark. All I knew of what was going to happen was that I needed an overnight bag with clothes. I said sure, why not. We left a car at the parents house and were picked up, late no less, by a car service. Off we went down the southern state and belt parkway. Here's where things started to go whacky in my head. To this point, I'd firmly believed that I couldn't be surprised. I'd certainly express surprise with whatever happened, but I'd be able to figure things out ahead of each step. As we approached JFK, I thought, hey, we're spending the night at Disney (my favorite theme park to this day - always had a desire to work there in some capacity, probably facilities designer, project manager, property manager, or EMS Systems director). Its a fun place for me to be. Maybe someday I'll explore my inner workings to figure that one out. so anyway... We pass JFK...hmmm, what's happening here, I thought. Maybe we're flying out to somewhere other than Fla. Maybe we're headed to Newark to go to Vegas. We continue on and head past the Veranzano. Hmm, okay we're going to a show, and she's tried to put me off the path by asking for an overnight bag. We head into lower Manhattan. Then we're in the southern tip of the island in front of the South Street Seaport. But we don't stop, we make a left to head west. Then we pull up in front of a hotel. Wow, doorman service.. Its the ... I can't remember, but anyway, its now defunct. Walk into this plush lobby and check in. Hmm, nice place. We're staying in a suite on the 4th floor. The bags are brought up to the room for us and we're given a tour. (Mind you, I've stayed in some nice places before where you get the tour, but nothing like this. The tour consists of taking us through the 4 room suite which includes a parlour, the master bedroom, the sitting area, in-room business center, and grand bath (with true marble jacuzzi) 2 double basin wash areas, 2 standing showers and 2 wash closets (thanks britan). Oh, it also includes a makeup area in-between the 2 full size clothes pantries, with each one containing a warming rack for the over-sized complinetary monogrammed terry cloth bathrobes. Sheesh, she really slurged on this one. Our view from the 8' tall french windows was of an interior courtyard, which in more temperate weather was used as an outdoor lounge with fountain.I was very much impressed. It takes allot to impress me, but very little to make me happy. This was first rate. While not being on a presidential suite level, it was one that'd be used for royalty and high government officials.Our first thoughts of the early evening were where to eat. She felt we'd play it by ear. We were in the financial district which placed us close to some very good food. Chinese restaurants, steak and fish houses let alone the 24 hour deli. I'd always wanted to take Mary to Fraunce's Tavern. Its a great little restaurant near the battery with a great deal of history and really good food. Its one of those "George Washington Slept Here" places. The tables next to the windows have these awesome over-stuffed wing-back chairs at ach table. You get to watch the neighborhood through great reproduction windows.We had a great dinner, finished it off with an awesome '83 Taylor Fladgate. We went back to the hotel and visited the bar. Had a decent Dow with some cookies. The bar was wonderful. Each table was a board game table. Chess, checkers, cards of all types, books and papers were there for your enjoyment. Service was very attentive but invisible (the best kind). Then we went back to the room for some enjoyment. (While I wasn't feeling all to well because of RA, I was able to take a 45 minute hot bath. My 6'5" frame fit fully into this massive marble jacuzzi. I also used each and every bath and body product they had layed out. Bath beads, toning lotion, facial peel, cucumber extract, you name it, I used it. I was toned, perfumed, moisturized, peel and rejuvinated. Swung one of the bathrobs onto me and exited looking like I was in spa heaven.)The next day we left the room late morning for some breakfast in the lounge. What a wonderful menu they had. Fresh bakery, oatmeal, fruit, mixed drinks. It was all so enjoyable. Back up to the room for a short nap. Then we were picked up about 1 for a trip to a show. Now, the car service we hired was supposed to be there a little before 1. They didn't arrive. Mary was beside herself. The driver had gotten lost, his car broke down, they didn't have the amount of drivers they needed. Any excuse was made until we couldn' wait any longer. Mary turned her bitch mode to full strength, walked away and came back and said they'd fix it by the time the show had ended. We asked the conceirge to arrange for an immediate car. The car arrived 2 minutes later and we were off in a flash. Arriving 5 minutes before curtain, we entered and had 3rd row isle seats at Mama Mia. It was wonderful. Up dancing around throughout the show, toe tapping, knee shaking, sing-a-long. Its my favorite show to date on the great street of lights. (My runner up is Wicked).As the show finishes, Mary gets on her phone and calls the car service. They promise us the car is at the theatre, directly across from the entrance. We exit and don't see anything. She calls again. This call is to the driver's cell phone. I'm looking. As Mary places the call, I see a black tux'd driver standing in front of his limo pick up his phone and gesture towards our theatre. Couldn't be. Turns out the company sent the biggest baddest super duper stretch limo they had. The thing had to be clearly 45' long. Champagne and full stocked bar was offered to us. There we sat looking at this huge thing. We walked across the street quickly and the driver quickly went around to curbside and opened the door. Since he was parked in front of another theatre (which was currently cueing for the next show) the people standing about seemed oddly curious. As we approached, cameras started flashing and I could swear I heard the word 'autograph please' over the din of passing traffic. I couldn't do anything but break a smile.We started through Manhattan. Its an odd experience being in one of those limos when its not prom season. People always tend to try and look inside. Its even stranger when you roll down the rear window and fawn like you're in the midst of a power call. People staring to see who's inside. I got a kick.The driver then asked if we were still going to dinner. I wasn't especially hungry at that time and Mary shot back, yes. She said she'd made reservations at one of our favorite restaurants, Cafe Grappa, on Hempstead Turnpike and Front Street. It was now 5ish and we were leaving the city for Long Island. I put up a bit of a tuss since Cafe can get a bit crowded for tables from 6-9. I relented though, since Mary stated the owners (she knows them from previous lifetimes) had constructed some unique dishes for me for that evening for my birthday dinner.We pulled up in front of Grappa at about 5:45 ish. Mary had been oddly nervous throughout the trip home, but I'd chaulked it up to her whole car service issue - she tends to hold onto those things for a period of time until she lets go.We pull into Grappa and head inside. We're greated by the hostess who knows Mary as well and proceeds to grab 2 menu's and walk us towards our table. I'm looking around taking in the people that are there. Its weird because they're all looking at me. Hey, I'm a big guy and these things happen all the time. 6"5" and you stick out.We're now walking toward the back of the place and I figured they've set up a table in this semi-private area for us to eat. Mary can be devious sometimes and her talents were in full tilt this weekend, I had to admit. It'd been one of the best birthday surprises I'd ever had. (She'd tried to pull of some surprise birthdays in the past, but each had to be cancelled because of bad weather (sucks to be bron in December).I get about three steps from the doorway leading to the rear private room and I notice a face I hadn't seen for a long time. Eileen Tublin was there. Hmm, that's odd. My mind now reeling a bit trying to place this face, a name and then trying to reason through what was happening, then I hear "Surpise". I had to stop. My feet wouldn't let me walk another step. What the heck was going on here. I said to myself, there's a couple people I know... No more than a couple... What the heck. I've now realized that Mary has put something small together. I'm not recognizing all the faces in the room, and I figure she's invited a couple tables worth of friends for a celebration. How's the restaurant going to fit us in this rom with the other party going on. Then I inspect all the faces in the room. I'm slowly figuring out that I can put names to each face. Then it strikes me... I know everyone. The room is full of my closest friends and family. 75 of them. I'm dumbfounded. I'm litterally, for the first time in my life, speechless.Other than saying hi and shaking hands and giving kisses, I'm at a loss. I just can't believe what this turned out to be. I find Mary's eyes and gesture my amazement. She says at that point she knew she'd surprised me. I'd been oblivious to the entire weekend. She'd conspired with everyone not to let me know a blessed thing. (If you ever need a surprise party planned and thrown, Mary is the one to call.)The night was spent visiting each and every table and spending time speaking with everyone. I had a blast. There were gifts galore and people traveled from far and wide to be there. The two crowning events of the night were the following:1. Amanda - My dear amanda. She'd recently gone down to DC to vii the supreme court. It wasn't a class trip or an excursion, but the result of a formal introduction to a supreme court justice. Amanda in the 4th grade had started taking afterschool classes in science and law at the local university. She's a bit...advanced. She's in fact the smartest person I interact with. During these college level classes she's needed to interact with scientitsts and lawyers towards completing her semester ending reports. A very close friend of the family Mel (Eileen's husband) even went so far as to go to the class and conduct in-session lectures and study sessions. He's a well established maritime attorney. He went to Kings Point and is part of their board of alumni. He interacts with senators, congressmen/women, generals, admirals, etc. Through coincidence, my fathers friend is an alumnus of Kings Point as well, who is personal friends with Justice O'Connor. One thing leads to another and a personal meeting with Justic O'Connor is set up with Amanda, during the 6th grade. Amanda met personally, and alone, for about 45 minutes with the Justice in her chanbers. Then the went into the court and sat while arguments on two cases were heard. She got to sit in the Justic's reserved seating area.When this experience was in the planning stages, I had wanted to be the person to bring her to DC. I'm enamoured with the Supreme Court and the Justices. I tried anything I could. Dropped hints, causually brought the issue up...etc etc. Just wasn't in the cards. My father and sister went down.A week before they left, I asked Amanda to get me a post-card from the court and have a picture taken outside the courthouse (because they d not allow any cameras inside the courthouse) for my edification.At my party Amanda hands me a wrapped package. I opened it to find its a picture of Amanda and Justice O'Connor in the justices chambers. Also, there's a picture of the exterior of the court. And finally, an embossed note card from the 'Chambers of Justic Sandra Day O'Connor'. Inscribed on the note card is "To Douglas Metzger, Best Wishes, Sandra Day O'Conor." Thi package is framed in a very statuesque antique frame with red white and blue matting cut -ins.I couldn't help but read it and begin to weep. I then sobbed.. Then full on bawled my eyes out in front of everyone. (Amanda became frieghtened by this and it took me a few months to convince her those were tears of joy rather than sorrow.) It was and is the nicest and most precious gift anyone has ever given me. Its hung proudly in my house where each day I come by and still look at it.2. Food fight. It started early in life. I think I was 9 or so. My maternal grandmother had a streak in her. She was german to the core. One thanksgiving we're at her house for dinner and she's in an awful mood because my grandfather (my mentor) was making these below the breath comments to her about this and that. We're sitting down and eating and grandpa makes a comment about the lack of mashed sweet potatos. Grandma abruptly turns around and says, " no sweet potatos...I have potatos here... Have some.. " and with that takes a whopping spoonful and launches them across the table at my grandfather. SMACK . In the face they hit him. That started what will be my first food fight. Those became so inrained in our future habits that each family dinner would include some form of flying food-stuff. I have now carried forward with this tradition (and in so, added my wife's family to the fray).So, here I am, drying my eyes from crying and the cake is presented to me. A decent looking sheet cake (though I personally hate sheetcakes). I go to the front of the gathering, make an off the cuff speech and toast and proceed to cut the cake. Mary is assisting and as Mary takes the first piece, traditon holds that she feeds it to me. (I guess this traditon was founded on the premise that if the cake is poisoned, the host will be the first to die sampling it, and therefore show the attendees its either fit for sustinence or doom.) Now as she goes to feed it to me, she needs to hold the plate close to my mouth for fear the piece will fall to the floor. We exchange that knowing glance which says, 'no tricks tonight or else' look. Then WHAP. The entire piece of cake and plate smacks me in the face. I was both confused and blinded by icing. Mary and I had this non-verbal communication going and she returned the message of 'I won't play tonight' glance back. I reached down to grab a napkin and wipe away my face. My hand ended on top of a head, then a shirt, then a napkin was placed there. I took it and cleared an eye. Through the gauzy flitered light because of thick whipped cream in the eyeball, I saw Mary with a horrified look. This conveyed to me that she didn't undertake the antics. I looked around and found my other two neices now laughing to no end. Turns out, they sneaked behind Mary and I and succinctly and firmly smacked Mary's hand upwards and into my face.Well a short chase ensued with the two girls in their 20's now hiding under tables with napkins over their heads. The short but ferocious cake battle took place, confined only to the participants.So, that was my best birthday ever.

No comments: