Friday, August 31, 2007

Life's enrichment

So, I'm here at the beginning of a Holiday weekend. Today I had a business conference call to go through. Ugh, always hate those although for the moment this one looks okay.

I had to stay at home today to take delivery of our new refrigerator and freezer. After delivery, how I'm ever going to get them into the house I'll never know, but we'll work something out.

I'm sitting in my favorite chair during the moderate seasons, in our 'Lake' room (for obvious reasons named because its overlooking our lake) contemplating life in general. During our recent trip, I moved all of our outdoor planters and flower pots to in front of our rose garden. I hooked up a sprinkler on a timer (we don't have IGS yet) which shoots off for an hour a day at 12PM.

I was startled by today's watering for some reason. Nothing untoward happened or even unusual for that matter. The sprinkler just started watering as it was supposed to.  I then noticed allot of chirping from the rose garden. Then more and more chirping. I looked up and noticed a bird perched on our bird-bath, the water very low and mucky. I got up and grabbed a watering can, filled it and shooshed the icky water from the bath top and left it completely filled.

  What surprises me to no end is the amount of birds we have. On schedule, the sprinkler goes off and birds begin to show. They're smart enough to remember a daily watering schedule. An hour of watered bliss and cleanliness for them. I started to try and count the amount of birds floating down from the oak and pine trees around the yard to get their daily watering fix. I couldn't keep track. I'd have to say there must be over a hundred at any one time.

Earlier this year I placed our indoor ficus outside. It had become downtrodden and sickly looking having clearly lost 90% of its leaves. I had almost given it up to the compost heap, but took a chance and placed it outside. Now its blooming and leafed out like crazy. The birds have also found out that this tree is in the direct path of glorious streams of fresh cool water. In trying to count their numbers, I'd have to judge to be about 30 birds perched precariously on the ficus' branches and leaves. Fighting over a 9 sq.ft. area.

This brings me to today's thought. As I sit here taking all of this in, I realize that life is truly a compilation of these moments. Personal enrichment, clear headed, focused enjoyment. The hustle and bustle that allows me to have these moments is, in the end, all worth it. I'm loving who I am, the family I have, the friends that surround and support me, and finally just life itself. Truly greatness. Thank you to everyone that helps get me here all the time.    

No comments: