Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Police - in concert


Last evening, a few month endeavour came to a fantastic close. It started out many moons ago when I first learned that The Police, a famous late 70's early 80's power rock band were contemplating reforming for a one tour stint. Obviously capitaslistic tendancies governed this decision.
In order to make sure I obtained my desired set of four tickets, I joined The Police Fan Club (a $250 undertaking) which then allowed me the opportunity to purchase advance release tickets, in preferred sections of Madison Square Garden.
I called Bro'ness and asked if he'd be able to attend with wifey and I and he agreed. Unfortunaley his lovely wife Marsha was not able to attend. She recently advanced her career exponentially (while also similarly increasing her responsibilities and time needed to complete said taskings.) So, with heavy heart we invited (though no offense meant) Emily - now affectionately known as SFB (another story for another day).
We got on the road and Bro'ness drove. We ate dinner at a very good restaurant I discovered last week, RiverBay Market on Willis Ave in Williston Park. Its highly recommended.
Bro drove to the City and we found a very convenient, albeit very expensive, garage to self-park in, right across from the famed Garden. We arrived with ample time to spare, though in retrospect I wish now that had not been the case.
Obviously it was sell-out crowds since the bands exposure and past recording talents are famed the world over.
Straight away, 8:00 PM sharp the warm-up band took stage. Their name is FictionPlane. If you ever get the chance, I'd highly recommend NOT to see them. They reminded me of my high-school days in the gymnasium watching a Battle of the Bands. The lead signer sounded like an off-key seal trying to imitate Sting. I've now had the unfortunate honor to find out that it sounded like Sting because he's Sting's son. His singing style was strained and epileptic. Singing at the mic his entire body would seize up and fail to function (though unfortunely this didn't affect his mouth). When his mouth wasn't open, his body would then begin to flail about and gyrate without syncronicity (sorry - had to). Then he'd climb high atop a speaker set and jump into the air to end the song. Over and over we watched. I was mortified.
The second song in their set was the only one I recognized as even remotely distributable. Had a catchy beat, though I have no idea what its titled.
The remainder of the set included songs such as Lipstick, Fuck and something to do with Jack Keirowac. I was totally happy to uproariously applaud the end of their set just so they'd get off the stage.
More later....

No comments: